A few weeks ago T.J.Maxx sent off a $50 gift card to me to see what I could find for Fall. Having last stepped into a T.J.Maxx 20 years ago in college, I was a little worried. I have my favorite sales and discount stores in San Francisco I frequent on occasion but, having just moved to a small college town, I thought I'd give the local T.J.Maxx a spin. Let me sum it up in 5 words: I miss big city shopping!
I digress. All kidding aside, I was able to find a few things and then a little something over the $50 budget to make the Fall transition more comfortable. The selections in store are limited to lower-priced bridge and junior lines such as Jessica Simpson, Paris Hilton (you won't catch me dead in anything “celebrity”) and Michael by Michael Kors. That's really about it — you won't find any Marc Jacobs bags slashed to $40 I'm afraid. But, if you stay focused and don't mind weeding through lots of crap, then you can find some cute things. I just really don't think this is a store for any woman over 40 who has patience for this kind of shopping but it was interesting to go and I thank the folks at T.J.Maxx for the gift. My finds:
- Michael by Michael Kors heathered gray sleeveless cowl, $25 – simple and flattering for all body types.
- Teal Willi Smith tie cardigan, $20 – this shawl cardi is very similar to the one BCBG does (except with short sleeves) and the color is to die for.
- Gray sweatshirt jacket – perfect for the inbetween weather with a dual zipper and a belt. It's super cute on.
And, this is what I'd pair it with — a little high/low outfit combo.
- Joe's Icon Muse style jean in the Taylor wash – the Muse style has a 9″ rise and is more of a straight leg than bootcut. It's sleek and hip.
- Giles & Brother gray leather wrap bracelet – with the short sleeves of the cardi, you need to add something on the wrist.
- Marc by Marc Jacobs Natasha bag in forest green. Not $40, but it's a cross body and shoulder bag in one. Love.
- Nine West Orro boots in gray suede – the toe is perfectly shaped and ultra flattering.