The key to becoming a successful personal stylist is to know how to deal with people honestly and fairly. Being honest and forthcoming will get you far — not only with those in this industry but especially with your clients.
5 Tips For Becoming a Personal Stylist
For those of you that are serious about starting your own business as a personal stylist or image consultant, here's some advice:
- Read The Perfect Fit by Lynne Henderson Marks and Dominique Isbecque. This will tell you absolutely everything about how to start and run your own image consulting business. It's outdated but they provide fee ranges and other great info that every stylist should know. Wardrobe 911 also offers a Personal Stylist Business Startup Kit that provides you all the forms along with our highly detailed 11-page Personal Style Assessment….it's beyond awesome.
- Join AICI (Assn of Image Consulting International). Here you can learn about all aspects of image management and connect with men and women in the industry.
- Work in retail. If you don't understand how clothing looks on a variety of body types, you will never be able to truly help your clients.
- Write a business plan and get the proper small business training. The SBA and SCORE are both great resources. In San Francisco, there is the Renaissance Entrepreneurship Center which helps you write a business plan. I am a graduate of their program and I used to volunteer my time in consulting small business owners.
- Get the proper training and practice. Training is critical and there are many wonderful image & shopping trainers within the country. When it comes to color, it's easy to get it wrong. That's why I've refocused my training from personal styling to personal coloring so that you get it right. As a color expert and mentor to heart-centered color consultants, I offer personal color training & systems at my main site.