The $1500 Wardrobe Challenge continues and today's post is for mom's and gals who lead a more casual lifestyle. When carving the wardrobe, I took the approach to spend the money on the items where the cost per wear is worth it (bottoms, special dresses and shoes) and go for inexpensive but fun tops that can stand the abuse of children yet not have you fret if it just got ruined during a finger-painting session.
The two bottoms that I always recommend have a super high satisfaction rate for fit and style. If you don't own any of these, you should:
- Joe's Muse jeans, $165. The perfect rise, the perfect fit
- Jersey fold-over skirt by Three Dots, $90. The band adjusts based on your comfort level and looks dressed up with a black tank for day or night.
Since being a mom is about needing clothes that you don't care ruining, a trip to Old Navy or Target is a great way to load up on simple and cute tees. Most women seem to be top-deprived in their closet so here's a slew to consider — all for under $165:
- Hooded henley in one of your favorite colors, $13.
- Twist neck tee in a couple of colors, $14.50 ea for $29.
- Ruched henley top in a midnight blue, $10.
- Pleated v-neck tee for wearing with jeans or the skirt, $14.50.
- Casual camp shirt, $24.50. This looks great layered over colorful tanks with jeans and sandals.
- Racerback tank ($8.50) paired with a sheer Splendid slouchy tee, $65. An up-to-date look that is super comfy.
Add some great layering items such as these:
- Casual hoodie jacket, $138. This jacket certainly veers from “boring” with it's interesting details and muted color.
- Supima draped cardigan – super soft and looks great over jeans or a casual dress, $19.50
A couple of comfy shoes – one for the park and various playdates, Privo Popcorn ($80) and one for more chic casual outings, try Gentle Souls flats. The Iso Bop style is on sale for $155 but if you're willing to go over your budget by $24, the Gentle Souls flats in pewter ($190) are super comfy.
And because you aren't a slave to your kids, every mom needs to show off her sexy side. You want something in your closet that you can wear for an important evening that is simple and effortless to throw on and makes you feel like a million bucks.
- This Diane von Furstenberg Whitley dress ($365) shows off your curves yet covers any lumps and bumps you may have. This drop-dead color looks great on dark brunettes, auburn brunettes and blonds.
- Botkier crisscross platforms in a neutral champagne, $311.50. These feel like a 3″, have a stable enough heel so that you don't feel silly walking in them since you don't wear high heels during the day, and they look great with jeans for more casual evening get-togethers.
The grand total: $1488.50. You have a little left over to grab the kids an ice cream cone.